W8CEI in 1953



After I published my last blog entry, I received a series of emails from W8SU, Bob Ballantine. Bob is a wonderful OT who worked with my grandfather, the original W8CEI, back when radio operators were a breed apart. They worked phone and cw, sure. But they also kept their radios functioning. And some went through a lot just to do their jobs. My grandfather was with the Ohio State Patrol for thirty years before retiring and moving over to the Ohio Highway Department.

At any rate, Bob sent along a photo of the swearing-in ceremony from 1953. W8CEI is the far left, back row.

Yeah, he looks a bit old to be getting sworn in. Well, as Bob explains, it became state policy to swear in everyone, regardless of length of service. Hmm. Seems like some governmental functions never change, eh? hi hi

Anyway, thanks to W8SU for sending along this great shot that I'd never seen before. He also sent some pictures of facilities that I'll include in later blogs. And one is a tower I'd give my eye teeth for!

73 till next time.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Knight Kit

Back to the Heartland

Popular Electronics in the 50s & 60s