W8AQ QSL Card from 1956


I see I last added an entry back in July, 2008. Wow. Guess I'd better get a bit more into this.

Today I'm adding some old QSL cards to my web site, http://www.w8aq.com/. Some of cards well as W8CEI's (my grandfather). But also, I just acquired a QSL card from the original W8AQ, Everett Gibbs, from back in 1956, as I've posted here. Ev was a member of the ARRL A-1 Operator Club and was apparently a VERY talented ham radio op! I'm proud to have acquired a call sign used by such a ham. Even more interesting is the fact I've been able to QSO with W8AO, a good friend of Ev's who actually tested and got his ham license at the same session as Mr. Gibbs! Pretty amazing!


QSLs are sort of fading out these days but I still very much enjoy them and find them a great link to the early days of this still fascinating hobby.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Knight Kit

Back to the Heartland

Popular Electronics in the 50s & 60s